USA! USA! USA!
Michael Phelps won his 19th Olympic medal Tuesday (July 31), taking home gold in the men’s 4×200-meter freestyle. With that win, he becomes the most decorated Olympian ever. Phelps now has 15 gold, two silver and two bronze medals earned at four different Olympics.
Earlier in the day, Phelps won the silver in an extremely close 200-meter butterfly race that saw him come in second to South Africa’s Chad le Clos, a 20-year-old who counts Phelps as his hero. Phelps didn’t hide his disappointed with the outcome of the 200-meter butterfly, his signature race, cradling his face in his hands after coming in second. Had he taken home the gold, he would have won the event at three consecutive Olympics, which itself would have been another record.
With that silver medal, Phelps tied Soviet gymnast Larisa Latynina, who took home 18 medals from 1956 to 1964. Little more than an hour later, he eclipsed the achievement with his 19th prize.
The audience at London’s Aquatic Centre gave Phelps the standing ovation he deserved for such a history-making achievement! Congrats, Michael!
>> U.S. Olympic Swim Team Enter The ‘Call Me Maybe’ Fray With Viral Video Parody
>> Olympics 2012 Athletes Reveal The Songs That Get Them Pumped
>> Michael Phelps Catching Up On ‘Breaking Bad’ At Olympic Village
Are you watching the Olympics? Let us know who you are rooting for in the comments below!Read also...
- Watch Prince Eric From The Little Mermaid And Dimitri From Anastasia Fall In Love
- Kylie Jenner Named A New Lip Kit Shade After One Of Her Sisters
- This Guy Shared A Magical Plane Ride With Usher: Was It This Week’s ‘Greatest Party Story Ever’?
- Charli XCX Is A Speed-Racing Puppet In Mr Oizo’s ‘Hand In The Fire’ Vid
- Can We Guess Your Favorite Supernatural Character? [Quiz]