California Gurl Perry leads all nominees with nine nods for the August 28 show.
By Gil Kaufman
It’s fitting that the leading nominee for the 2011 MTV Video Music Awards is Katy Perry, since the California Gurl has had a massive year. Perry nabbed nine nominations for the August 28 awards show, including bids for Best Pop Video, Best Collaboration, Best Direction, Best Special Effects and the biggie, Video of the Year, for her smash “Firework” clip.
Close on her heels is another diva who’s had a breakout year: British songbird Adele, who rolled up seven nominations for her hit “Rolling in the Deep” from 21, the best-selling album so far of 2011. Among her nominations are Video of the Year, Best Female Video and Best Pop Video.
It wasn’t just about the ladies, though, as Kanye West earned seven nods for his high-concept clips “All of the Lights” and “Power,” including Best Hip-Hop Video, Best Male Video and two shots at Best Collaboration for his Rihanna and Kid Cudi hook-up for “Lights” and his cameo in Perry’s “E.T.”
There was also plenty of love to go around for singer/songwriter Bruno Mars, whose four noms include Video of the Year, Best Pop Video and Best Male Video for “Grenade.”
A trio of divas — BeyoncRead also...
- The Riverdale Cast Show Their Devotion To Archie Even When They’re Off-Set
- Ryan Murphy Confirms That You Won’t See A Trump Character On American Horror Story
- Nicki Minaj Just Used Beyoncé To Hit Back At Remy Ma
- Kendall Jenner Is Basically A Sci-Fi Super Hero On The Versace Catwalk
- Delete Your Account: The Only Vogue We Recognize Is Teen Vogue