California Gurl Perry leads all nominees with nine nods for the August 28 show.
By Gil Kaufman
It’s fitting that the leading nominee for the 2011 MTV Video Music Awards is Katy Perry, since the California Gurl has had a massive year. Perry nabbed nine nominations for the August 28 awards show, including bids for Best Pop Video, Best Collaboration, Best Direction, Best Special Effects and the biggie, Video of the Year, for her smash “Firework” clip.
Close on her heels is another diva who’s had a breakout year: British songbird Adele, who rolled up seven nominations for her hit “Rolling in the Deep” from 21, the best-selling album so far of 2011. Among her nominations are Video of the Year, Best Female Video and Best Pop Video.
It wasn’t just about the ladies, though, as Kanye West earned seven nods for his high-concept clips “All of the Lights” and “Power,” including Best Hip-Hop Video, Best Male Video and two shots at Best Collaboration for his Rihanna and Kid Cudi hook-up for “Lights” and his cameo in Perry’s “E.T.”
There was also plenty of love to go around for singer/songwriter Bruno Mars, whose four noms include Video of the Year, Best Pop Video and Best Male Video for “Grenade.”
A trio of divas — BeyoncRead also...
- Artist To Watch: Bea Miller Injects Some ‘Young Blood’ Into Rock ‘N’ Roll
- ‘Game Of Thrones': Everything That Happened When Tyrion Met Dragons In ‘Kill The Boy’
- Read Taylor Swift’s Sweet Letter To A Fan Who Lost Her Mother
- Kim Kardashian Just Found One Of Her Most Infamous Selfies — And It’s Not In Her Book
- Watch This 7-Year-Old Share Her Inspirational Story About Being Transgender