Murray will represent himself as he contests involuntary manslaughter conviction for which he faces up to four years in state prison.
By Kara Warner
According to TMZ, Murray filed the petition in pro per, which means he has decided to forego hiring legal representation and represent himself. He reportedly listed “Men’s Central Jail” and his booking number in the space on the appeal document where a lawyer would normally list a firm’s name or contact information.
TMZ also reported that although Murray seems to be without a lawyer, he is still in communication with Nareg Gourjian, one of the attorneys who represented him during his manslaughter trial.
“This case presents a gold mine of issues for any appellate lawyer,” Gourjian told TMZ. “Dr. Murray is confident that the Court of Appeal will vindicate him.”
Following the guilty verdict, Murray’s lead defense lawyer Ed Chernoff told CNN, “What matters most right now is trying to keep Dr. Murray from taking up a prison cell in this community. That’s what we’re focusing on right now, and we’ll deal with an appeal after that.”
Murray was sentenced to four years in jail Tuesday, but due to overcrowding, he’s unlikely to serve his full term.
- Beyoncé Announced A World Tour In The Middle Of The Super Bowl
- You Probably Missed Beyonce’s Super Bowl Tribute To Michael Jackson
- Beyoncé Brought Her “Formation” To The Field For Super Bowl 50
- Watch Larry David In “Bern Your Enthusiasm” On Saturday Night Live
- Beyonce Just Released A New Song And Video — This Is Not A Drill