‘I’ve sat through longer James Cameron speeches,’ comedian quipped of Kardashian’s brief marriage.
By Kevin P. Sullivan
Ricky Gervais did exactly what the Hollywood Foreign Press Association hired him to do with his opening monologue at Sunday night’s (January 15) Golden Globes. He left the audience having to choose between laughing and cringing.
Many of Hollywood’s biggest stars left the opener unscathed, a bit of a change from last year’s performance. Gervais still lived up to his reputation, however, and didn’t shy away from his signature brutal comedy style.
Gervais opened his monologue with an appropriate question, considering how last year’s awards went. “Where was I?” he asked. “Nervous? Don’t be.”
Despite all the talk of Gervais’ sharp wit before the show, he aimed the majority of his opening jokes at both the Globes themselves and NBC, the network airing the awards. Right off the bat, he joked, “Tonight, you get Britain’s biggest comedian, hosting the world’s second-biggest award show on America’s third-biggest network. Sorry, fourth.”
That isn’t to say that the celebrities were off the hook during the monologue. Gervais paid particular attention to Kim Kardashian, cracking two jokes at the recent divorcRead also...
- Little Mix Have Dudes Wrapped Around Their Fingers In ‘Touch’ Video
- Dashboard Confessional Cover Justin Bieber On Surprise EP
- Arcade Fire’s ‘I Give You Power’ Is A Glimpse At The Not-So-Distant Future
- Final Logan Trailer Introduces A Mutant Way Cooler Than Wolverine
- Are You The One? Shocker: The Big, Bad Blackout That No One Saw Coming