‘YMCMB start and stop with Wayne; it ain’t no YMCMB without Wayne,’ Birdman tells MTV News.
By Rob Markman, with reporting by Sway Calloway
When Lil Wayne first signed with Cash Money Records as a pre-teen, he wasn’t the label’s biggest star, but these days, it’s impossible to imagine the premier rap label without Tunechi. With his most-recent deal, fans won’t have to fathom that possibility.
A few weeks back, Weezy announced on MTV’s “Hip Hop POV” that he re-signed with Cash Money for a four-album deal, and since then, rumors have begun to surface that Birdman put up $150 million to retain Wayne’s recording rights.
“YMCMB start and stop with Wayne; it ain’t no YMCMB without Wayne,” Birdman told MTV News correspondent Sway Calloway on Monday night while DJ Khaled was shooting his “Take It to the Head” video in L.A.
On “POV,” Wayne said, “Everybody knows I came into the game at 11 years old with Cash Money Records, before we even had a major deal. We signed a deal in I don’t remember when, and I been with Cash Money ever since. So, if you’re looking for integrity, I am the definition. If you’re looking for a person that’s gonna stay down, I am the definition. If you’re looking for loyalty, I am just that.”
Birdman wouldn’t confirm the exact figures in the deal, but he made it clear that when it comes to Wayne, who he considers a son, the sky is the limit. “The type of situation we did never been done in urban music; it’s probably the biggest deal ever in urban music,” he said. “I’m blessed to even do that — whatever my son want, he can get. It’s all his anyway, so it don’t really matter to me.”
With Weezy as the flagship, the #1 Stunna hopes to grow his Cash Money/Young Money company into a billion-dollar brand. “That’s one of our goals, and the move we just made was a big move to that, to make sure the pioneer of it, which is Wayne,” he said.
Tunechi’s next album will be I Am Not a Human Being II, and the new deal ensures that it won’t be his last. Baby is no doubt proud to continue doing business with Birdman Jr., but let him tell it, and it’s more than business: “This is for life,” he said.
Are you looking forward to Lil Wayne’s next album? Tell us in the comments!
Singer goes tribal and gets her dance on in trippy new Talk That Talk video.
By Jocelyn Vena
Rihanna‘s wondering “Where Have You Been” in the just-released music video for the Talk That Talk single. Her search takes her to mucky rivers, flower-drenched hillsides, desert-scapes and smoke-filled dance parties, overflowing with dancers popping and locking in tribal couture alongside the sexy pop vixen.
The video, which she dropped on her Facebook page, opens with Rihanna emerging from a river, scantily clad and as lonely-looking as hinted at in the track’s lyrics. “Where have you been all my life?” she sings while performing more intense choreography than fans of the singer might be used to. She shimmies and shakes in an exotic desert-like setting, wondering where her one true love might be hiding.
The video serves as a kind of photo shoot for a tribal-print-themed spread in a fashion magazine, with Ri donning funky looks that feature lots of animal prints, chunky jewelry and headdresses. It’s sexy and full of longing, much like the song itself, and even includes the singer appearing topless in certain shots. And if a topless Rihanna can’t find love, what hope is there for the rest of humanity?
As the Calvin Harris-produced track grinds on in all its EDM glory, Rihanna continues her trek throughout the world, looking for that special guy, who seems to slip through her fingers at every turn. Rihanna looks fiercely into the camera, shimmying to the song’s bumping beat, with her siren call being blasted into the wilds of the world.
The video turns psychedelic as it nears its end and a kaleidoscope effect is filtered over the clip, with glitter-sprinkled Rihanna making one final plea. Several dance breaks, wardrobe changes and hairstyles later, Rihanna looks as if she still might have to live her life all by her lonesome. At the video’s end, she goes back underwater, with just her dancers to keep her company.
In addition to dropping her video on Monday (April 30), the singer will also sit down with her “Battleship ” castmates during “MTV First: Battleship,” where she’ll be on hand to debut an exclusive clip from the blockbuster and open up about her big-screen debut.
Don’t forget to watch Rihanna on MTV tonight at 7:56 p.m. ET to see the premiere of an exclusive “Battleship” clip, followed by 30 minutes of Q&A with the film’s stars on MTV.com, hosted by MTV News’ Josh Horowitz. Fans can get in on the action by submitting video or text questions via MTV.com or via Twitter using @MTVNews, hashtag #MTVFirst or #AskBattleship.
‘Hunger Games,’ ‘Bridesmaids’ and ‘Harry Potter’ run away with this year’s noms — don’t miss the show Sunday, June 3, at 9 p.m. ET/PT on MTV!
By Kara Warner
Who’s already excited for the 2012 MTV Movie Awards?
We’ve already announced that chart-topping indie-pop group Fun. will rock the Movie Awards stage with a performance toasting the greatest party films of all time, plus the addition of five excellent and intriguing new categories: Best Music, Best On-Screen Transformation, Best Gut-Wrenching Performance, Best Cast and Best On-Screen Dirtbag. What more could you ask for?
How about the list of this year’s lucky nominees who will by battling it out for the coveted Golden Popcorn trophy live from the Gibson Amphitheatre in Universal City, California, at 9 p.m. ET/PT on Sunday, June 3? Fan voting opens Tuesday at 8 a.m.
Here they are, in all their eclectic, well-deserved glory: the 2012 MTV Movie Award Nominees!
Movie of the Year
Pop-star-turned-actress and her ‘Battleship’ co-stars premiere exclusive clip tonight at 7:56 p.m. on MTV, followed by a 30-minute interview on MTV.com.
By Josh Horowitz
If there is a downside to what I do (talk to very talented, beautiful people), it’s that sometimes you’re sitting in between Rihanna, Brooklyn Decker, Taylor Kitsch and Alexander Skarsg
‘We did training just before the shoot, speeding the boat, turning, learning how to shoot and handle the weapon,’ singer-turned-actress tells MTV.
By Kara Warner, with reporting by MTV UK
There are only a few more hours until Taylor Kitsch, Alexander Skarsg
The actor tells MTV News he expects to play the superhero ‘for a long while.’
By Kevin P. Sullivan
With the Avengers finally assembling next week, Marvel Studios and the stars behind the heroes have already begun to look ahead to the next films set in the comic-book universe. At the closing night celebration of the Tribeca Film Festival on Saturday night (April 28), Robert Downey, Jr. spoke with MTV News about the future of his character, Iron Man, and addressed recent talk about other actors playing the role in the future.
At CinemaCon last week, Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige mentioned to Badass Digest that when it came time for Downey to leave the role of Tony Stark behind, a new actor could pick up right where he left off, like in the James Bond films.
But Downey told MTV News on the red carpet that he wasn’t so thrilled about the idea of someone else playing Tony Stark. “I would really hate for someone else to think they could step into my shoes,” he said. An infamous jokester, he couldn’t help but ask, “I wonder who’s playing Tony Stark next. Is it you? Is that what you’re here to tell me?”
But Downey can’t be Iron Man forever, and while the 42-year-old actor couldn’t say for sure how many movies he has left in him, he made clear he’ll be interested as long as they remain good films.
“I know things are looking like that they could go on for a long while,” Downey said. “As usual in my book, it’s all about quality control and delivering a product that you can have this kind of reaction to. If they keep doing that, maybe I’ll keep showing up.”
In Downey’s immediate Marvel future, there’s next year’s “Iron Man 3.” The past few weeks have seen actors like Sir Ben Kingsley, Guy Pearce and Jessica Chastain potentially joining the cast, and Downey said that he could not wait to work with “any or all of them.”
“It’s funny. Sometimes you have to call for a good old-fashioned British invasion,” Downey said. “‘Iron Man 3′ is really shaping up to be something special. We start in a couple weeks. I’m sure I’ll be leaking secrets to you as we move ahead.”
What secrets, you ask? Well, it was recently announced that “Iron Man 3″ would be co-produced in China. As for whether any filming would take place in the East, Downey was less forthcoming. “I’d like to tell you all my secrets,” he said,” but I forget them.”
Check out everything we’ve got on “The Avengers.”
Pittsburgh MC remains tight-lipped on his upcoming collabo project on ‘RapFix Live.’
By Rob Markman, reporting by Sway Calloway
Mac Miller isn’t ready to start working on his sophomore album just yet, but he does have a few projects in the works. And though the Pittsburgh MC wouldn’t give much detail when he appeared on Wednesday’s episode of “RapFix Live”, he did drop a clue about one of these projects.
“Everyone needs to pay attention for when the words ‘pink slime’ surface, just don’t even worry about it right now,” Mac teased while sitting on the “RFL” couch.
He wouldn’t reveal whom he is working with on the “pink slime” project, but Miller did confirm that it is a collaborative effort. “I’ma just say, just keep watch — he’s gonna be pissed that I’m saying this, but you’re not gonna know who it is,” he said.
Well, if “he’s gonna be pissed,” then that rules out a tag-team tape with Nicki Minaj right? Maybe it’s her Young Money boss Lil Wayne; after all he did appear on Miller’s on Macadelic mixtape. Then again, so did Cam’ron, Juicy J and Kendrick Lamar.
There is no release date for “pink slime,” but it will come before Mac’s Blue Slide Park follow-up. “As far as the album, to be honest, I haven’t even thought about it yet,” he said. “I need some time, man; I need to put together something. I’m releasing music, I have songs on songs on songs; I record every day.”
Whom do you think Mac Miller is working with on his “pink slime” project? Tell us in the comments.
Watch the full clip on Monday at 7:56 p.m. ET on MTV and an interview with the cast shortly after on MTV.com!
By Kevin P. Sullivan, with reporting by Josh Horowitz
By now you’ve probably heard that on Monday, April 30, the cast of “Battleship” will present a never-before-seen clip from the upcoming movie on MTV at 7:56 p.m. ET.
You probably know all about the 30-minute interview with the stars that will follow on MTV.com and how you can get your question answered by submitting a video or text to MTV.com or Twitter via @MTVNews, using the hashtags #MTVFirst and #askBATTLESHIP.
But that’s probably not enough for you, since you simply cannot wait until the clip’s premiere on Monday night. Luckily, we have a sneak peek at the exclusive scene, and it looks like things are going to get a little explosive.
‘Our Mindless movement is all about being confident, just being yourself,’ Battle of the Boy Bands hopefuls tell MTV News.
By Kelly Marino
The first round of MTV News’ Battle of the Boy Bands has officially ended, but there is still time for fans to cast their votes for their favorite heartthrob group in hopes to title them the ultimate boy band of all time.
Another group urging their biggest followers to vote for them are the guys from Mindless Behavior. But before you get mindless with your votes, here are some facts about the foursome that might help steer your mind in the right direction:
Highest Chart Achievement
Their single “Mrs. Right” featuring rapper Diggy Simmons reached #8 on the U.S. Billboard R&B/Hip-Hop charts after its 2011 release.
The guys confess they would travel the world just to find the right kind of girl in the beat-popping hit “Mrs. Right,” causing female hearts in every country to flutter.
During their pledge to search high and low for “Mrs. Right,” the boys get a lesson or two in geography from their teacher, Professor LL Cool J. Directed by Brett Ratner, the video also features Mike Epps as the school janitor, who joins in on the fun during a pep rally to cheer on Diggy Simmons and the group’s signature dance moves.
Their debut album, #1 Girl, hit the U.S. in September 2011, debuting at #7 on the Billboard 200 with 36,000 copies sold in its first week.
Despite all of their success, the boys weren’t afraid to admit who they thought might be their biggest competition amid the new wave of boy bands that has exploded on the scene. “As far as other boy bands who I feel our biggest competition is One Direction and the Wanted,” Roc Royal told us. “That’s a huge competition for us, because we all have different movements, and they come from the U.K., and they also have fans out here, which, they have a lot of fans out here, so it’s crazy.”
So why do the guys think they should win our Battle of the Boys Band? Well, it’s simple, really: “There’s a lot of boy bands in the poll, but we’re definitely unique,” Princeton stated. “So please vote for us.”
Ray Ray chimed in: “I think we should win the title for Best Boy Band of All Time because we have a great movement. Our Mindless movement is all about being confident, just being yourself, not caring what other people think, stopping all the bullying and, one, we’re really great artists. We have songs that anyone can listen to. That’s why I think we should win.”
“And we love all of the fans,” Princeton added.
When it comes to learning the key to becoming a great boy band, the group even filled us in on a little secret the Backstreet Boys once told them while on tour together: “When we were on tour with the Backstreet Boys, the advice that they gave us was ‘Stick together no matter what,’ ” Ray Ray shared. “They said: You might have arguments here and there, but just stick together. You have to become family although you’re in a group. You have to literally become family, and you got to stick together.”
Voting in round two of MTV’s Battle of the Boy Bands runs until noon ET on Monday, April 30. Winners are determined by fan votes, so if your favorite band made the cut, make sure you keep voting. Tune in to AMTV and MTV Hits for their boy-band video takeovers each day and make sure to spread the word on Twitter using the hashtag #BBB and like us on Facebook for updates!
‘I’m going to go from the ‘Haywire’ crew to the ‘Fast 6′ crew, so I’m going to get a very broad range of knowledge,’ she tells MTV News.
By Kevin P. Sullivan
Action fans rejoiced earlier this week when The Hollywood Reporter announced that MMA fighter-turned-actor Gina Carano was in talks to join the sixth “Fast & Furious” movie. It seemed like an inspired choice for the series that saw new life after “Fast Five” impressed last year.
MTV News caught up with the breakout star while she was promoting the Blu-ray release of “Haywire,” and she spoke excitedly about the prospects of joining the action series.
“We got a call about two weeks ago to do ‘The Fast and the Furious 6,’ ” Carano said. “We’re in negotiations for that, so if that goes through, that will be a really cool opportunity for me to get my feet wet on another big-budget film and be around all these different types of actors.”
Carano seemed pleased at the idea of appealing to different bases of fans within the action genre, moving from the art-house appeal of “Haywire” to the mainstream explosions of “Fast & Furious.”
“I’m going to go from the ‘Haywire’ crew to the ‘Fast 6′ crew, so I’m going to get a very broad range of knowledge as far as people go,” she said. “It’s like two different high school groups. You’ve got the very artistic, and then you’ve got the action group of athletes, like hard-core. Very different personalities there.”
Carano is in negotiations to play a member of Dwayne Johnson’s team in the upcoming sequel directed by “Fast Five” helmer Justin Lin. As for whether Carano has begun sizing up her soon-to-be castmates, she said that’s not something she has to think about. “No, I’m pretty secure. I don’t need to size anybody up. I’m not worried about that. I’m worried about giving a good performance and understanding my character. That’s what I’ll focus on.”
The actress wouldn’t say for sure how close she was to signing on, but remained optimistic about her prospects. “It will be really good for me, and I’m completely open to it,” Carano said. “If negotiations go good, we’ll probably start filming that.”
Check out everything we’ve got on “Fast & Furious 6.”
For breaking news, celebrity columns, humor and more — updated around the clock — visit MTVMoviesBlog.com.
You can subscribe to Quickjams by e-mail address to receive news and upates directly in your inbox. Simply enter your e-mail below and click Sign Up!